Football Unites, Racism Divides and Stand Up To Racism are jointly organising a tribute to former West Bromwich Albion and Coventry striker Cyrille Regis with an anti-racist event on Sunday 24th February 2019 - the day after WBA meet Sheffield United at The Hawthorns - and just over a year since his untimely death in January 2018.
The 'Only One Cyrille Regis' event will inform different generations about what football was like for black players in the 1970s and 1980s, and how the courage and determination of Cyrille Regis and his contemporaries changed not just football but society itself. The recent worrying increase in racist incidents in both professional and grassroots football, partly fuelled by the Democratic Football Lads Alliance, has made this history even more important to remember and learn from.
The event, at the U-Mix Centre off Bramall Lane, will begin with three football tournaments - for young people, women and a seniors competition - followed by speeches and personal recollections about Cyrille's life. The day will kick off with the football tournaments at 2pm, with refreshments served at 5pm, followed by the indoor programme, and finishing at 7pm.
Other activities being planned include:
* Films of Cyrille and his contemporaries
* Reunion of former playing colleagues
* Local Caribbean and Asian football communities
* An exhibition
* Commemorative programme
* Speakers: including former players and writers. Confirmed so far are:
- Brendon Batson, Cyrille's great friend, former West Brom team mate and fellow "Three Degree"
- Paul Rees, author of 'The Three Degrees: the Men Who Changed British Football Forever' - a book about Cyrille Regis, Laurie Cunningham and Brendan Batson.
- Chris Green, co-author of Cyrille's biography 'My Story'.
- Steven Kay, author of a novel based on the life of Sheffield United player Rab Howell, the first Romany to play for England
To find out more about the event, or to enter a team in the tournaments, contact Howard Holmes at FURD (0114 258 7787) or on 07973 414 722, email email@example.com, or Phil Turner on firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow the link below to the Facebook event page. There isn't a charge to attend, but to help us judge numbers, please book a ticket via this link:
Only One Cyrille Regis Facebook event page
Football Unites are not responsible for the content on external websites