Since 1999 FURD has been working with people, and particularly young people, to support them to take up volunteering opportunities. FURD’s volunteering programme aligns itself to its vision of widening participation for people from all backgrounds in society.
Through a number of Government funded programmes, notably Millennium Volunteers, v Involved national volunteering programme and v24/24, we have reached out to a diverse range of backgrounds and have engaged with a high percentage of those who would not normally volunteer. FURD has provided a vehicle to connect with those young people that have traditionally been difficult to engage. FURD has seen over 1,000 young people getting involved in regular sustained volunteering whilst making a contribution to their local community, and becoming local role models. Many of the young people have gone on to work for FURD as youth workers and football coaches.
Volunteering can mean different things to different people, and can take place in many forms. FURD can offer a flexible programme with volunteers having the option to try different opportunities.
- One off /taster opportunities
- Part time volunteering
Opportunities across the organisation include:
- Assisting with FURD football coaching sessions.
- Supporting the reception staff in the running of the U-Mix centre.
- Working alongside FURD youth workers to develop and deliver programmes and activities for young people in the local area.
- Helping to produce FURD’s publications (for example editing, creating content, photography).
- Creating content for FURDs digital platforms.
- Helping out at FURD events and community festivals.
Volunteers will receive one-to-one support from our volunteer coordinator. At the initial meeting they will be taken through a volunteer induction process, which will include completing a volunteer plan and a volunteer agreement which sets out what both parties can expect from each other. Volunteers will have regular supervisions and referrals onto wider volunteering opportunities.
We can provide references for volunteers for employers, Colleges and Universities if required.
If you are interested in volunteering with us, either drop us an email, phone to make an appointment on 0114 2587787 or just pop into the FURD office to see a member of staff.